Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Childhood Memories

They say that scent is the strongest of the five senses to bring you back to an old memory. This is certainly true for me, I often find myself instantly transported back to a fond memory with certain scents.

Last night I made smoky pork stock by boiling 4 and a half quarts of water with 2 lbs of bacon and the scent was amazing! It smelled just like my grandmother's kitchen when she would bake up some delicious southern meal at her home. I was instantly transported back to memories of visiting Mama Rosalie and Grandpa Erle when I was kid. I'd always sit at their kitchen table while she cooked something in one of their many cast iron skillets. Salmon patties and cornbread are my two favorite dishes she'd make.

I miss you Mama Rosalie and love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment