Thursday, January 26, 2012

Great grocery finds and a cooking tip

Our grocery stores around here have a fairly large and substantial Mexican food selection with one of the best parts being their spice collection. Small and large quantities of various spices, including rosemary, are available for mere pennies. I desperately needed more rosemary as I use for my pasta sauce, pizza sauce, grilled chicken sandwiches, and potatoes all of which we've had recently. So I grabbed the cheapest non-organic (that's always cheaper) jar they had. McCormick's Rosemary was $5.99 for 1 oz. "Oh well," I thought, "that's one more good reason to get my herb garden started now." (yes, it's planting season down here) Then a few aisles later I came upon the Mexican spice shelf and what do you know, they had .5 oz of Rosemary going for $0.79! I was ecstatic! So I bought one because I want to make sure it's the real deal before I invest in anymore. I'll update y'all on that.

Next great find (maybe this is normal but I'd never noticed it) is that our Winn-Dixie had the quick dissolve flour. It sounds terrible, doesn't it, like some shortcut TV would have promoted in the 50's when American women stopped cooking so well and sought speed and ease over quality and time proven methods.
Well, guess who recommended it? My gastronomic hero: Julia Child, I love everything about that women! She said it's best for crepe batter because you won't get any lumps. Makes sense. So I bought it and made the batter tonight. Tomorrow's breakfast will be some savory crepes!

Recipe to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment